History of Codex Suprasliensis

Codex Suprasliensis was discovered in 1823 in a Uniate Basilian monastery in Supraśl (then in Lithuania, now in northeastern Poland in the Podlaskie Voivodeship) by Canon Michał Bo-browski. He sent it to the Slovenian scholar Jernej Kopitar for study. After Kopitar’s death the first 118 folios were preserved in the University Library in Ljubljana, where they are still kept. The following 16 leaves were purchased by A. F. Byčkov in 1856 are are now located in theRussian National Library in St. Petersburg. The remaining 151 leaves found themselves in the collection of the Counts Zamoyski; this so-called Warsaw part disappeared during World War II and were long considered lost until it reemerged in the USA and was returned to Po-land in 1968. It is now located in theNational Library in Warsaw. The codex was been published by F. Miklošič (Vienna, 1851), S. Severjanov (Saint Peters-burg, 1904), and J. Zaimov and M. Capaldo (Sofia, 1982–83) but none of these editions is easily available. The bibliography of scholarship about the texts of the Codex Suprasliensis numbers more than 200 items (not counting more general scholarship about Old Church Sla-vonic or the Cyrillo-Methodian mission), which demonstrates the breadth of interest in Europe elsewhere.